Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Happy New Year!





2013 has kicked off and now that the festivities are over, and I am fully installed in my new atelier (with deck) the working year is all go already.

Violin number 17 is almost finished. This instrument will be off to its new home in Queensland for predominantly folk stylings very soon. The heat we have been experiencing, has provided good varnish drying weather, but has wreaked havoc in the form of bush fires all over our island. Sympathies to all those who have suffered loss in this catastrophe. If anyone would like to join me in contributing to the appeal, donations can be made here.

Number 17 is a my version of a the Kruse Stadivarius model 1721. The violin will be sporting geared pegs and an asymmetrical tailpiece, both resulting in improved sound quality. 




My next commission is an exciting one -  a viola, my second to be commissioned by a violist in the TSO. Philip Smith viola's will make up 2 out of the 5 viola's in the TSO,when this viola is completed. The instrument has been commissioned with assistance from Arts Tasmania and our Premier sent a note to the player mentioning how wonderful it was to have a maker in Tasmania who can provide quality instruments to the TSO - it was very encouraging and I was well chuffed to hear it. 

2 comments:

Susan McMahon said...

I miss the smell of your varnish when I walk down St John Street these days.......but I'm sure the new "atelier" is a wonderful working space.
Great news about the viola commission!

William Newbery said...

I am very eager to meet my new viola and practically counting the concerts I'll play until then.